Saturday, December 1, 2007

No Internet Week: Day 5

Black Friday, November 23, 2007

This is day five without the "Internet." I have used the Internet and I definitely have watched TV. My streak away from my computer lasted until I woke up on day one (I lasted about 9 hours, which coincidentally is the amount of time I was asleep).

I went to find the number for the unemployment office (this should explain this blog) and they had cleared my original claim, that was not finished. Filing for unemployment was the number one thing on my to-do list, and my to-do list was a major reason for turning off the computer. I wanted to get this done, so I turned on my computer and restarted my claim. I finished my claim, shut down my computer, and walked away.

On Tuesday, day two, I paid a bill online for my apartments energy. I also transferred money from different bank accounts so I would not overdraft. 36 hours into not using a computer and I have failed, not once, but three times (although I vaguely made it so that these uses would be exempted).

For those of you who are thinking that these uses are acceptable, I have a confession to make. Before I tell you what I have done, I want to state, I feel a little guilty as to breaking the rules. I also feel like it made me fight harder inside to battle the urge to use the computer for mindless activities.

Anyway, here it goes, I have this thing called an iPhone (are you done with your side comments? I am making a confession here, if you want the explanation on why I have an iPhone ask me another time). So yeah, I have an iPhone, I opened it up... and I clicked on the mail button. I know I wrote that I could do stuff on the computer or Internet with "time restraints," but this is inexcusable. I had one e-mail that I responded to. It was not completely necessary. I wrote back to one of my kickball team captains to say, I was coming to the game that night. Now this seems like a one time isolated event, but I pushed that mail button the rest of the week. Every time I opened it there was some new email about something that happened on facebook or myspace. When I did not follow through and see what had been posted on those sites I felt good for my rule breaking. I felt I had the power to see I was missing things on the Internet, but could control myself not to see what it was.

Moving on, I actually became quite productive throughout the week. Not having a computer standing by has made me just simply start things and finish them. No more procrastinating until the last minute (or if there is no last minute, not doing anything at all). Well, stating I was quite productive is a lie, but not procrastinating is true (except the bathroom would probably not be what it is today*). I have not done more work, I just did it sooner. I run out of things that I need to do and am left with "free" time. This weekend may pass slowly without things to do, but hopefully I will get creative and fill in the mindless Internet surfing time (with drinking, wooooooo!).



*Go to the average male college house and look at the bathroom. That was my bathroom. Six months without cleaning the shower or sink. The toilet bowl was slightly cleaned with the toilet brush and some chemicals, but some how the tank was disgusting. The bathroom after I quit the Internet was spotless (in male bathroom terms). I wish I took before and after pictures.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt

June 9, 2008 at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home