Friday, April 4, 2008

500 Mile Bike Ride: Day 1

We made it!!!! (well we made it to the coast... then passed Venice Beach... I don't know what Venice Beach was doing in Northern California, but I almost took a picture and declared victory... and we really made it to Santa Cruz)

Stories from the Road
Before the ride started Caitlin's roommate asked for rent (which was already late), but Caitlin doesn't believe in checks so she tried sending money online. Caitlin also doesn't believe in computers. Long story short, Caitlin needed to find a B of A in the morning. She got tricked in Daly City by a B of A sign that led her to two ATMs. I looked up the next bank on my phone. We arrive in Pacifica, find the bank, and Caitlin finally pays her rent. Back on the road!

We then start a climb on highway where there are no shoulders and construction... I look back to see how Caitlin is doing and she is off her bike waving her arms. Her rack fell off. Thanks to REI, the rack came with bolts that did not fit the mounts on the frame. Anyway, as I am looking at the problem and thinking how screwed we are 20 miles into our ride, a construction worker came to see what is wrong. We decided that we could fix it with a longer bolt and a nut to hold it on (the original bolt fell out and is gone forever). Now, all we need is a harware store. The construction worker points and says, "ACE is right there." The saying within a stones throw doesn't do this situation any justice. I could have thrown a boulder or at least rolled it the 30 ft to ACE's front door.

All said and done, Caitlin and I were back on the road after enjoying a nice hour in Pacifica. Note: the next five or so miles had no shoulder and there was something people call Devil's Slide...

Caitlin and I then enjoyed lunch in Half Moon Bay (picture below or above? I don't know where Google puts it). Watched the surfers in the water and I called my dad to tell him we survived riding on the edge of cliffs. My dad had some sad news, but had a good attitude. My Uncle died in the night. My dad said, he was glad to have someone out in the world with the wind in their face at a time like this. He mentioned my Uncle would want the same thing, so now I will continue the ride in the honor of my Uncle; his spirit will fly down the hills with me.

On a lighter note, I will be releasing fun facts at the end of the trip for everyone to bet on. Here is what you can place your bets on:

Number of miles biked.
Fastest speed.
Showers taken.
Bike problems.
And how many peanut butter sandwiches I eat.

Hints:
I would bet more than 89 miles 100% of the time.
Two cars honked.
We passed some motorcycle guys, then they passed us and honked, and then they passed us again and honked (I guess that means we passed them again).
Tomorrow I will be wearing neon clothes as we ride off from Santa Cruz.
Our ride is officially the Thumbs Up Tour 08.

And last but not least, big thumbs up to Greg Rijavec for a place to stay in Santa Cruz.

Riding in memory of John Dickson the third,
Alan Dickson

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home