Friday, November 28, 2008

No Biking: Days 3 and 4

Day 3: I HATE THE SUBWAY

Wednesday, I wake up and decide to take the subway. I check my fastest route and see when the train is leaving. All sources tell me it will be a 33 minute trip including walking to the subway (I walk faster than average people so it will probably take less time).

Walking to the subway is easy. I pay my $2 and enter the station. The display says the next train will arrive in two minutes. I start thinking maybe this is not as bad as I make it out to be. Two minutes pass and no train arrives. Five minutes pass and no train arrives. Eight minutes pass, another train is schedule to arrive, but still nothing. I am starting to remember why I do not like to rely on others to get me places. Ten minutes have passed and the train arrives.

Everything is okay, I am only going to be ten minutes late. When taking the subway are you supposed to schedule your trip with the intent that trains could be delayed? I would hate to waste so much of my life planning for others flakiness. The train is moving and starting to fill up as we continue on down the tracks.

The train becomes a packed house before we dive under the river into Manhattan. I now remember another reason I do not like the subway. I don't like being shoulder to shoulder with other commuters, especially early in the morning when I am half asleep. Lucky for me I have my back against the door so I only have one person inches from me. The downside is this person is watching some Madonna live concert on his iPod nano and dancing. Yes, dancing.

I cannot even describe how I felt at this moment, but I will try. There is a packed train where most people have all filed front to back (to reduce the chances of accidentally making out). Everyone is standing still hating the fact that they are crammed on the subway. Everyone except the one guy dancing to Madonna. He is face to face with another rider. He is dancing like he is on the grind and it is still 1999. And he is two inches away from me. Face to face.



Then the train stops. We are under the East River. There is no announcement. There is a guy dancing to Madonna at 9:30 A.M. I am trapped and I am officially late for work. I hate the subway!

I think I blacked out after all this and the next thing I remember was showing up at work 30 minutes late. Needless to say, I walked home from work and did not take the subway.

Day Four


Happy Thanksgiving! I took the subway again. It only took me three trains to get to Queens. Everything was on time, so I only spent a little over an hour in the death machine. The ride home was much the same, but I am still scarred.

I HATE THE SUBWAY!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger loompalicker said...

(I walk faster than average people so it will probably take less).

November 28, 2008 at 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home